I speak with a lot of people every week that are interested in making money online and internet marketing as a career. They all tell me that they don’t really know where to start. They talk about how much information there is to learn and how overwhelming it all seems…information overload, very typical and while there is a lot to learn, you also have to learn when to apply it.
Here Is Your Online Guarantee
Another lesson that you will want to learn, and this is one of those guarantee moments as in I guarantee that this will happen to you. Ready? Here it comes…You are going to make mistakes! What??? Yep, that’s right, you are going to make a mistake. You are going to write a post that veers off of topic from time to time. You are going to forget all of the little SEO elements for your article. It may not hit page 1…OMG!
Remember one thing. This was passed on to me from a friend a long time ago. We both worked for a plumbing company and some guy was telling my friend he had never broken a toilet on installation. My friend, a real wise guy, looked at him and replied, “Then you haven’t installed enough of them.”
The lesson was simple. Those that don’t make mistakes aren’t doing much if anything at all. Don’t be scared. Get out there and make mistakes and then learn from them. You’ve heard the term “fail your way to success,” haven’t you? Of course you have. The Japanese proverb goes like this:
Fall down seven times, get up eight
One of the problems I see in this business, and others, is folks that are learning and starting to get a grasp of what is happening begin to focus on the little things so much that they forget to market. I mean you have someone that is worried about how well placed their key phrase is within their blog post. Then, of course, they need to find the right image or two for the article and craft the right header tags and title…got to make sure that the SEO is just so!
Am I Doing This Thing Right?
Then there is the whole matter of back links, how many do we need? Oh shoot, I forgot to bookmark this article, better get back there and do that…what was that site again? Ping.fm? Yeah, that’s the one. Is it done?
What about facebook, did I put anything on facebook? Did I make a post? Oh crap, what else did I forget? Am I ever going to get this thing down? Why does it keep changing?!
Does that sound familiar at all? Listen, I know there are a lot of steps when it comes to working up a key phrase and trying to get it on the first page of Google, nothing wrong with that, but remember that while there is a science to getting on the first page of Google and the other search engines with our content, there is also an art to online marketing. Sometimes less is more.
I remember when I first started toying with facebook. As with anything new, I started reading everything I could trying to find the “secrets” of the social media gurus. I did everything for a while. I went out and made tons of “friend” requests, joined various groups and essentially wasted a LOT of time on the site checking out other profiles when I could have been applying that effort to something more rewarding in terms of traffic.
That said, I like facebook because it is a great place for me to market my blog posts and get some immediate traffic. I’m still building my traffic stats up, but it’s tripled in the last month or so (and not from facebook). Like everyone else, I’m learning. I’m learning not to waste my time on worrying about how many back links I’m getting and where from. I’m learning to write my articles well, to provide good, useful information to people that are interested in similar subjects. I’m learning to build a subscriber base.
I’m not suggesting that you don’t put together a good strategy of a few methods and techniques, but relax. If this stuff is work, then you are doing something wrong! Have fun.
For every five or six posts that I make, there is only one or two that I am writing in order to generate specific, targeted traffic. Why? Because it takes too damn long to get all of the necessaries out of the way so that the article or post will rank well on the search engines. Since I like to post everyday, or close to it, trying to hit #1 for everything is just a bit ridiculous. Sometimes I just want to write, sometimes I just have something to say – or carry on about.
My Crazy Linking Strategy, So Cool I Can’t Keep Up!
When I am ranking I do have a strategy, I do have a process and if you would like to copy it, then be my guest. It goes like this:
- Bad-ass research – You just have to find the right key phrase. Good traffic, but not a lot of competition. A little is OK, but not a lot.
- Write an interesting article – This isn’t that hard. Remember that you are unique, some people will relate to you, some won’t. Write for yourself. Just make sure it is useful material for the next guy. If you have a sense of humor, use it, but don’t make it a comedy piece unless you are a comedian and it is a comedy piece.
- SEO – Make sure all of your on page SEO stuff is sorted out properly. h1,h2 and h3 tags with the key phrase, title with the key phrase, key phrase in the body 1.5% to 3% density, an image with the alt phrase set to your key phrase, an internal follow link and any external links made no follow links. Got that?
- Pings! – Go to pingler.com and send out pings. You should also have an updated ping list set up in your WordPress site also. Yippee! Don’t spam with your pings. There is a good plugin that you may want to install titled cbnet ping optimizer. Sort of guards against you accidentally pinging over and over when you are updating a post.
- Ping.fm – There it is, set up your social bookmarks and submit links to all of them. This takes care of facebook too (link your YouTube account with your facebook account and that will also give you a good post on facebook.)
- Socialmonkee – If you don’t have a socialmonkee account, get one, it’s free to use and it works! Those are two wonderful criteria for joining any bookmarking site!
- Second article – Now write a second article on the same key phrase and submit this one to ezinearticles.com – they are still the King when it comes to ezine sites.
- Third article – Told ya this was work! Write a third article and spin it with the best spinner software. Get a 75% or better spin on your article and then generate 500 or so articles.
- Submit Articles – First post articles on five to ten article directories pointing links back to your original post. Copy these URL addresses – you’ll need them later.
- Post on Unique Article Wizard – Take 3 of your spun articles and post them on unique article wizard. Point the links in the author’s resource box to your blog post and domain.
- Submit more articles! – Submit to ten more articles with links pointing back to the second tier articles (the original articles you submitted to).
- Unique Article Wizard…again! – Post another three articles on UAW. Link back to the original articles.
- Hubpages and Squidoo – use both hubpages.com and squidoo.com and point the links back to your domain and post.
- Video – Make a video around the same key phrase. Post the video on YouTube with links back to your blog post. Go to ping.fm again and post to your social sites with this video.
- Unique Article Wizard Act III – Submit yet another three articles to UAW and link back to your hubpages and Youtube video.
- PDF – Make a pdf file of your blog article and submit it to:
- Take a break, you deserve it!
Now that you have “the list,” get off of your butt and make something happen. Experiment, find out what works for you. Don’t stop until you start seeing the results you want to see. Whether you are just putting a bunch of information out there to get off of your chest or you are trying to make money online (I do it with simple money making programs and more) at least now you have an idea of how to get the natural, organic traffic from the search engines.
If you are like me, you are going to want to get this thing going to the point where it is getting bigger on its own and you are sipping Mai Tai’s and curling your toes in the sand, but for God’s sake, no matter what, make sure you have a good time – this is suppose to be fun!